Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lime Chiffon Cake

Happy 4th of July everyone! Hope everyone is having a great holiday!

Initially I was planning to make Satay for 4th of July but it's been raining like cats and dogs these past couple of days plus I had to work today so I decided that I'll do that another time. Since hubs and I was home yesterday I suggested that we get some meat to make fajitas at home.So yesterday we went to the store and bought what was needed to marinate the meat. One of the ingredients for the marinate was lime juice and I bought about 15 pieces because it was just $1!!Well since I only used 2-3 pieces to marinate the meat I've been scratching my head to think of what to do with the rest of the limes before it goes bad. Then I thought I would make lime chiffon cake because I know people make orange chiffon cake so why not try lime?

This is my 3rd time making chiffon cake and the first two times I managed to whip the egg white until stiff perk but for some reason this time I could not reach that. I also did not want to over beat the egg white. The egg white became some what stiff but when I toss it around it was sliding a little so I thought to myself as the first sign of failure!Since every thing else was already mixed together I decided I'll just go ahead. Worst comes to worst my cake will just collapse or will not rise as much as its suppose too.

My cake cracked when I took it out from the oven. I'm not sure was it because I open the over one too many times to make sure that it won't burn.



It also didn't collapse but I don't think it rise as high as it was suppose to be since I used one more egg white compared to the rest I've tried.
When I cut the cake it was still a tad bit warm but I could not wait to try it. It actually made the whole house smelled pretty good when it was cooking in the oven.

I made some lime frosting to drizzled it on the cake although I prefer it without the frosting. Hubs said with or without the frosting it tasted good.


Lime Chiffon Cake
Ingredients 
2-1/4C cake flour
1tsp of baking powder

3/4C warm lime juice (I squeeze my own lime juice and just nuke it for a couple 10-15 seconds)
Zest of about 3-4 grated lime

6egg yolk+1/2-1/4 C sugar+1/2tsp salt
7egg white+1-3/4C sugar+3/4 tsp cream of tartar

5tbsp of corn oil
1tsp of vanilla essence or 2tsp rum (I used brandy because that's all I have at home)

Method
1. Sieve flour and baking powder.
2. Use hand whisk to whisk egg yolk until creamy and light in colour. Add in corn oil then warm lime juice and rum.
3. Add in flour mixture into yolk mixture lightly. Add in lime zest.
4. Beat egg white with electric beater until big bubbles formed. Sprinkle in cream of tartar and beat until it is white in colour. Add in sugar3 times (a little at a time) and beat until stiff perks formed. About 8 - 10 minutes for 150w egg beater.
5. Pour 1/2 egg white into flour mixture in (3) and blend well.
6. Pour flour mixture into the rest of the egg white and blend well.
7. Bake at 175C or 345F for 55 minutes or until cooked.
8. Invert the cooked cake during cooling process.

With some of the mistakes I made I'm glad that the cake turned out. My only question is why does my cake has a strong egg taste. The other chiffon cake that I made I could not even taste the egg. Can anyone help me with that problem?
Now I just need to quickly make everyone finish their lime chiffon cake so that I can venture into another flavor. I gave some to Uncle+Aunt and told them that I wanted to make some more refreshing. When Uncle R took a bite he made some faces showing that it was too sour for him! Aunt L said that she really likes it. Hopefully they are telling the truth. Tomorrow I'm going to have to bake a loaf of bread for this week. This few weeks I've been baking my own bread and hubs has been willing to eat them! :)

4 comments:

2crazydogs said...

I made chiffon cake just once and it was a failure. The cake didn't rise but didn't taste of eggs. My mom gave me her recipe over the phone and I think I might have missed something. I might make the cake again especially seeing you and Lesley making them. Chiffon cakes are always my favorite.

Sunshine said...

Dawn, you should try it again. I love to cook/bake. I think it relaxes me!
My banana chiffon cake was fine but the other that I made I find I can taste a hint of egg. I'm not sure what's the reason. I know chiffon cake is not suppose to taste like that. I do however love chiffon cake and am trying to try different flavours so that the hubs and neighbour don't get bored :p
You should try it again and maybe u can share ur recipe :)

ZMM said...

The crack isn't that bad.. Don't they all crack a bit?

Do you like green tea?
I posted my green tea chiffon recipe...
http://mysugarnspice.net/?p=382

Sunshine said...

Agnes,
I'm not sure if they all crack a little because I'm actually just starting to learn how to make chiffon cake although my previous attempts they did crack too although I had no problem whipping my egg white unlike this time.

I need to go stop at your food blog now! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin