Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Assorted buns...

I've been wanting to eat bun for quite some time now. The buns soft yummy buns that you can find in the bakery back home in Malaysia or the Asian bakery in other countries. I've been craving but do not want to turn on the oven since is so darn hot outside and I've also been pretty busy for some reason. I decided to make some buns anyway. I had some char siu that I made a couple of weeks ago and I decided to make char siu filling so I can make buns with it.




Filling
Ingredients:
Char Siu (diced)
1 Onion - diced

Oyster sauce
Soya Sauce
sesame oil

water combined 1 1/2 Tsp corn flour

Salt and sugar to taste
oil for frying

Method:

Heat up oil and fry the diced onion until fragrant.
Add in Add in char siu and the rest of the ingredients.

Cook till thick.

Leave to cool before wrapping.


Recipe adapted from
Honey Bee Sweet

Potato Bread
Ingredients:
Set A:
220g Bread flour
80g cake flour

30g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant active yeast

140ml ice cold water

40g egg yolk

60g mashed potato

Set B:
30g unsalted butter, room temperature
Filling:

Pork floss
Mayonnaise
Char Siu filling
Hot dogs
Cheese Slices

Method:
Mix all ingredients in Set A in a large mixing bowl to form a soft dough.
Knead the dough till it is not sticky, about 20 minutes or more.

Add the unsalted butter in and continue to knead till the dough is shiny and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, pull a small piece off and stretching it with your fingers. If dough is very elastic and pulls to almost see through without breaking, then it's done.
Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof for at least 90 minutes.

Punch out the air in the dough and divide it into 10 equal portions.
Two of the portions, divide into 2 again, this is for the mini hot dogs, if you are using normal size hot dog then this step can skip.
Roll into balls and cover to let rest for 5 minutes.

Place all the buns on a parchment lined baking tray and cover to proof for another 25 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
Brush the surface of the buns with egg wash or milk.

Bake the buns in the oven for 18 minutes or till light golden brown.
When done, remove the buns from the tray and cool on the rack.


I didn't follow the above method. I put Set A in my bread machine. I had to keep adding flour because the dough was pretty sticky than after the bread machine knead it for about 30-40minutes I added Set B in. I had to add more flour too because the dough was p
retty wet. After that I followed the method above and let it proof etc.



Apart from the char siu filling I made I also used hot dog wrapper with cheese and pork floss for the buns. The pork floss buns were not as how I expected. I thought it was a little too dry for me. As for the rest of the buns Uncle Richie loved it. Hubby only had a bite of the char siu buns but he said he liked it. Since I added so much more flour because my dough was so sticky I should have added more sugar hence I felt like my bun was pretty tasteless. The texture of the bun was pretty good but it was softer if heated in the microwave for 10 seconds. I would try this recipe again but I was something really similar to the one you get at the bakery store in Malaysia. I'm wondering would I ever get to taste those kind of buns again here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin