Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Caramel Rolls II

Ever since the weather turned cold I've been in the mood to bake breads again. I don't know why but I just love the process of baking bread and the outcome of the product (that's if is a success). I love the aroma when the bread is done baking and making it just helps me regroup my thoughts and myself. 


I was browsing through Florence's blog one day and I saw her wonderfully soft bread recipe and I decided that I needed to try it. I actually didn't start the kneading until about noon because I was actually contemplating on making a loaf of bread or buns. I finally decided that I will use this recipe to make some caramel rolls since it was hubby's favorite and I've not made them in a long time.





Wonderfully Soft bread recipe adapted from Florence

Ingredients

310g bread flour

60g cake flour
40g Nestle CoffeeMate
115ml skim milk
20g condensed milk (I omit this)
55g castor sugar (I increased it to 70g)
3g salt
7g instant yeast
1 egg + 2 egg yolks
40g butter (room temperature)

Egg Glace: 1 egg lightly beaten with 1 tsp water


Method

1. Sieve flour mixture into a large mixing bowl.

2. Make a well in the middle of flour mixture and add in all the rest of ingredients except butter.
3. Mix till a dough is formed and knead in the butter till you get a smooth dough.
4. Prove dough for 50 minutes or till double in size.
5.Flatten bread dough with a rolling pin into a rectangular flat dough.
6. Spread a layer of soft butter and sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar mixture on it.
7. Roll it up like a swiss roll and seal the widthwise end.
8. Cut into inches pieces with a floured knife
9. After final proving and before egg glaze. (I skipped this) and bake at 190C or 350 C for 15minutes or till cooked


**Note:
I used the dough cycle in my bread machine to do all the kneading work. I After the machine knead one cycle I restarted the machine and knead another cycle.

I used warm milk, microwave the milk on HIGH for 30 seconds. (I skipped this step)


Topping (Caramel)
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c of butter
1TBSP of water

1. When you take out of oven, turn each pan of rolls over on a plate, otherwise you will have a hard time getting them out when they cool.
2. Microwave brown sugar and butter  in a microwave dish until butter is just melted and pour in water.
3. Pour Caramel mixture over rolls. 
4. Wait till it cool down a little before digging into it.



This is actually one of hubby's favorite. If it was up to him he would just eat this for dinner! MIL used to make this for them when the were little and hubs still loves them! The only difference is MIL used commercial bread dough while I make them homemade.

I love the texture and taste of this recipe and I will definitely make this again since hubs loved it so much!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin