I had craving for some chocolate cake and decided I will make some since I don't fancy buying or eating cake from the store because is always too very sweet for me.
Recipe adapted from here
1. Make the cake mix by combining the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
2. Using an electric mixer or a food processor, blend in the shortening until no lumps remain. (Using the mixer on this makes a dusty cocoa mess, so I prefer the food processor!) This is the dry cake mix part, and you can store it in an air-tight container for several months.
3. Finish making the cake by adding the water, oil, and eggs to the cake mix in a large bowl. Mix on low speed until moistened, and then beat on medium for about 2 minutes.
4. Pour batter into greased and floured pans (one 9x13-inch pan, two 9-inch round cake pans, or cupcakes) and bake at 350 degrees.
9x13-inch pan: 35-38 minutes
9-inch cake pans: 30-33 minutes
cupcakes: 19-22 minutes
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer. gradually beat in the vanilla, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar. Beat in enough milk to achieve a spreadable consistency.
2. Spread frosting on cake right after making the frosting. If you wait too long to spread the frosting, it will lose some of it's light airy fluffiness when you spread it.
The cake is very moist and yummy. Even though I reduced the sugar it was still sweet I think is because of the icing. When I make the frosting next time I will try and reduce the sugar so is not as sweet. This recipe is definitely a keeper!!!