Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Curry Laksa/Curry Noodles

The weather has been really crazy lately..Not only there are snow storms everywhere but the temperature is dropping drastically even where even here in the South. Ever since the temperature dropped I've been craving for warm soupy stuff.  On Sunday I made hubby take me to the store so that we can get ingredients to make Chili. When we got home we cut everything up and dump it in the crock pot and had a warm bowl of chili the next day.


I was really craving for some Curry Laksa since is so cold but I had to work on Monday and didn't have time to go get the ingredients for it so I had to postpone the idea of cooking some to another day. That day I made the hubs take me to one of the Chinese Buffet that I like to patronize hoping that it will help my craving for Curry Laksa. It didn't help that much and I knew that the next day I would go to the store to buy the ingredients since is my day off.


I was really lazy to go out the next day as it was really cold out and I could hear the wind howling from my house. I knew that it would be a cold walk from my front door to my house but I decided to brave it and go get the ingredients I needed.




Mom bought me a packet of ready made curry laksa paste to try and was surprised how popular is this brand Curry Laksa paste when I was googling for it on the internet. I used Lily's method and adapted it to my liking since she has used this paste before and highly recommends it too.




Ingredients:


250 gm rice vermicelli (Wai Wai Brand)
100 gm bean sprouts
8 ozs fish/meat balls of your choice (I used a combination of shredded chicken and fish balls)
6 - 8 pieces fried bean curd(taufu pok) - cut into small pieces
1 packet Tean's Gourmet Curry Laksa
1 can 400 ml coconut milk
1 tsp chicken granules
Salt to taste

Long Beans 
Egg plant

Hard boil egg


Method:

Boil a small pot of hot water and when it comes to the boil, pour it over the rice vermicelli and leave to soak until it is cooked. Drain. If using other than this brand, the rice vermicelli should be soaked first and then boil for a few minutes until cooked.

Put bean sprouts in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds on high.

In a big pot, put 1500 ml water, the curry paste , chicken granules and the fried bean curds. Bring to the boil and cook on medium heat until the bean curds are soft.

Add in the fish/meat balls (shredded chicken), eggplant, green beans and when the balls are heated through, add in the coconut milk. Stir and do not allow the soup to boil. Turn off heat.

To serve, put a handful of cooked rice vermicelli and bean sprouts into a large bowl and scoop hot soup together with fish/meat balls and bean curds.



I figured that the Curry Laksa paste would not be spicy and I did not have any sambal paste on hand I decided to make some Chili Oil since the are so simple to make with not much ingredients.


As I as about to start making my Chili Oil I noticed that I do not have any dried Chilies. I was sure that I had a packet of dried chili so when I was at the store earlier to get my vegetables I did not buy any. I looked high and low for my dried chilies and could not find any. I had several options; it was either I drive out just to get some dried chilies or I should forget about making the chili oil or call the hubs to grab some. If I've not said it before or if I've said this many times I'm going to say it again the problem is I don't like to send the hubs to the grocery store by himself because every time when I send him to the grocery store to get what I need he comes back with a ton of stuff and he would not eat them so it'll just be a waste of money hence I dislike sending him to the grocery store. This time I had no choice I specifically told him again not to get anything else except dried chilies. He came home with some extra stuff but not as bad as the other times. *phew* I did expect it but I just didn't know how much damage would he do that's all thankfully the outcome was not bad at all.


Ingredients: (I estimated all my ingredients hence there is no specific amount on the ingredients)
Dried Chilies
Dried Chili Padi
Salt
Paprika
Cheyenne Pepper 
Belachan
Oil

Method:
Boil a pot of water and when the water is boiling put in the dried chilies. Let it boil for about 10 min or until dried chilies is soft.
Drain the water and try and remove as much seed as possible (optional)
Put the dried chilies in the food processor and blend it until fine.
Add the rest of the ingredients in EXCEPT oil.
Heat the oil in a pot once it warm turn off heat and put the blended ingredients in. I added more oil and belachan because I thought it needed more. 


My Chili Oil came out great but I think is not spicy enough. I should have added more dried chili padi.


I really wanted to make my Curry Laksa from scratch but I don't have the energy, time and ingredients to make it from scratch. I figure this will do the trick and it did! Now I have to ask mom to go get more for me for times like this!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin