Thursday, September 11, 2008

Char Kway Teow

After my Char Mee I was determine to make Char Kway Teow. I got stuff needed last weekend and have been itching to make it. I made Chee Cheong Fun two nights ago but was too hungry and did not take any pictures. The recipe to make Chee Cheong Fun is pretty similar to make Kway Teow that's why I attempted to make Chee Cheong Fun first. There is still plenty of room for imporvement with my Chee Cheong Fun. Hubby's only comment is that it needed some kind of meat. My comment is my Thim Cheong is too salty for me...
I was planning to make my Char Kway Teow tonight for dinner but after getting up this morning and not knowing what to eat I decided that I was going to make it there and then. I could not start on anything because I'm expecting some people to come look at the house and I was going to take Stanley out so he's not a pain in the butt (although he kind off still was). After they were gone I started on making my Kway Teow. I got so excited and distracted in making the Kway Teow that I made up another batch after almost done making the first batch. Since I made two batches it took me about 2 hours to make the Kway Teow. I don't have any regrets making the Kway Teow because I feel like the Kway Teow tastes better than the once we buy at the grocery store.

Flour Mixture

Steaming/Cooking

Kway Teow

*I've also decided to post the recipes in my own individual post instead of just linking the website where I got it from just in case anything happens to the other person's website then I would not be able to ever get the same recipe. My Kway Teow recipe was kind of taking from Sinner's website.

Home Made Kway Teow or Steamed Flat Rice Noodles
Ingredients
  • 150 g Rice Flour
  • 1-1/2 tbsp Wheat Starch Flour
  • 2 tbsp Corn Flour
  • 1/2tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp Oil
  • 400 ml water
1. Mix the rice flour, wheat starch and corn flour together. Add the water and stir continuously.
2. Add in the oil, salt and mix thoroughly.
3. Set the batter aside for.
4. Prepare your steamer.
5. When the water is boiling, ladle and spread a thin layer of batter onto the tray and steam for 4-5 minutes.
6. Remove the tray from the steamer and leave to cool slightly before using a scrapper to fold the kway teow. While waiting for the kway teow to cool, put in the next tray to steam. (I don't care to use the round baking pan I prefer to use stainless steel plates)
7. Cut into thin strips for fried kway teow. The noodle sheets can be kept in airtight containers in the fridge for a day or 2. (I froze the rest of the Kway Teow and I am planning to steam it again to soften it before using it the next time).

While steaming my flour mixture to Kway Teow I prepared the stuff needed for Char Kway Teow. I shelled the prawns (keeping the head etc because I'm planning to make prawn mee when I have enough to make prawn broth) chopped the other ingredients and shelled the cockles.

Char Kway Teow
Ingredients:
1/2 lb kway teow
1 tsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp cooking oil
3 - 5 prawns,
3 - 5 thinly sliced Chinese sausage
150g cockles, scalded and shelled (if available fresh then this is a must)
a handful of beansprouts
3 sprigs of chives, cut into 2 inch lengths
1 egg

Seasoning:
1 tbsp Chilli paste(sambal olek)
1 tbsp light soya sauce
Pepper to taste
A little dark soya sauce for colour
A little water

Method:

Heat wok with 3 tbsp oil until hot and fry Chinese sausages until fragrant, then add l tsp chopped garlic . Add prawns and fry until cooked.

Push all the fried ingredients to one side and add in kway teow. Stir-fry the kway teow and add seasoning and sprinkle with a little water to mix.

Spread all the ingredients around the kuali and create an empty space in the centre, then crack an egg into it and add a little more oil. Cover the egg with all the ingredients and stir-fry evenly. Add cockles if desired and mix in a handful of beansprouts and the chives. Do not overcook.

Remove the dish to a plate and serve hot.

My Kway Teow is almost there!!Almost like the once we can get at the hawker stall. It looked, smelled and almost taste like the once you eat at the hawker stall...I was so happy with my accomplishment and the kway teow taste lovely too. I also made double batch of this because I know I'm going to want to eat it again tonight and I was too lazy to make more later. *smirk*

6 comments:

Leena said...

Wow, make your own kueh teow. I didn't know kueh teow can be homemade until now. Must try this one day. Thanks for sharing.

Sunshine said...

Yeah it's super easy and it taste pretty good too..When you are living aboard and have no choice you will have to learn how to make anything you want to eat...*sigh*

Simple American said...

Wah!!!

I am so hungry now. But won't eat out for the next month until I am sure all the bad food is gone.

Pretty bad of me to think like that, but some folks are too profit motivated. So they may not toss out the bad eats ya know.

Sunshine said...

Honestly I know a lot of restaurants that actually throw away their stuff. Personally I would stay away from Asian/Chinese restaurants because I don't trust them. Just stick with Western food the mean time..LOL..

NickTay said...

ur making me hungry :)

Sunshine said...

Nick, I would not say that because there is so much more choices in London!lol

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin