Friday, November 21, 2008

Homemade Dog Biscuits

I've always wanted to make treats for Stanley ever since we got him but ever single time when we go out I'm always too busy thinking of stuff to buy and hubby will try and stop me so I'll always tell him Stanley needs treats. He'll be like didn't we buy it the last time and then I'll be like he needs different flavors. How do you like it if you always eat the same thing right? So he'll be fine with it but then now hubby very smart. He's seen my stashes of treat, raw hide and toys so now when we go out not allowed to get anything for Stanley unless something he absolutely needs.

Out of blues I decided to make some homemade treats. I figure since I'll be having the two monkeys might as well I make some healthy treats for both of them although Stanley still has a ton of treats and Aunt L bought some over for Bailey too.

I actually needed baby food for the recipe but then I don't have any. I was too lazy to get into the car and go get some baby food. So I cut and clean a few sticks of carrots and celery then proceeded to steam it. I thought steaming it would maintain the nutrient instead of boiling it in water. When it was soft enough I took it out and mashed it with my food processor (see how much I use it. I think is a good investment!lol). I actually added a couple of Strawberries because we had some left and I didn't want it to go to waste. It actually smelled really good for some reason

Pureed carrots, celery and strawberries

Then I used my KitchenAid mixer to mix the ingredients for the biscuits.

Baked cookies.

Ingredients:
3 Cups of whole wheat flour
3/4 Cup of rolled oats
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 egg
5 tbsp of oil
water as needed
2 cans/bottles/jar of baby food (any flavor, all natural and no preservatives)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine all ingredients together and make a thick dough.
3. Knead on a slightly floured countertop for about 4 minutes until the dough is nice and smooth.
4.Sprinkle a little more flour over the dough to make rolling easy.
5.Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
6.Use cookie cutters or a small drinking glass.
7.Bake on a ungreased cookie sheet for about 22 minute.
8.Let doggie biscuits cool for at least 1/2 hr before serving.
9.To keep fresh, package these in sealed containers.

I don't really have much cookie cutter so I used what I had which was the heart and angel (Christmas)cookie cutter. My heart shape cookie cutter is from Wilton and the angel one is a cheap one and I find that is much nicer and easier to use the Wilton one. I would imagine all cookie cutter would work as good. I guess I should start looking for more Wilton cookie cutters

I know I'm going to hear about making cute cookies for the dogs when hubby gets home because I made him some almond cookies last week and it was not shaped at all. I didn't even bother to actually rolled it out really nice. I kind off just plop on the pan. Will blog about the almost cookies soon.

I think baking the biscuits for the two monkeys is all worth it. At least I know what is in it and I can give him more than a couple if I like.

p/s: If you don't want to make your own puree you can use apple sauce or peanut butter too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin