Thursday, November 6, 2008

Busy Beeee

I skipped gym yesterday because I was busy...well...lazy...but I did however kept myself busy in the kitchen...

I started by making Braid Bread. I got the recipe from Chow Times. It's actually called Raspberry Braid but I didn't have Raspberry Jam.

Braid Bread

Instead of dividing it into two I made 4 from my dough

Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon yeast

Filling:

  • 1/4 cup raspberry jam (or any Jam)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted - cooled

Topping:

  • 1 tablespoon butter, soft
  • 2 tablespoons white flour
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Prepare the dough using the first 7 ingredients using your bread machine dough cycle setting. (I left the dough sit in the bread machine to rise for another 1 hour).
2. Roll each half of the dough into a 14″ x 9″ rectangle. Make diagonal cuts from outer edges one inch apart and three inches long.
3. Spread 1/4 cup raspberry jam lengthwise down the center third of the rectangle.
4.Fold alternate strips of dough over filling.
5.Place the braid on a greased baking sheet or parchment lined baking sheet.
6.Brush the braid with melted, cooled butter.Cover and let rise for 30 minutes or until double in volume.
7.Use a fork to mix the topping ingredients together until the mixture is grainy like.
8.Sprinkle half of the topping over each dough braid. Bake the braids at 350F for 25-30 minutes.

I used the Kaya that I made and Strawberry Jem because that's what I had on hand. I also skipped the topping because I was lazy.

Verdict: It turned out really pretty good (me)
: Uncle Richie loved it but not the Kaya one.


I had a craving for Chicken Rice this week and I knew that hubby would not care for the steamed chicken so I decided to make Roast Chicken instead. I got my recipe from Lily which turned out really good.


Roast Chicken

Ingredients:

5 - 6 LBS roasting chicken
3 tbsp margarine/butter - softened
1 clove garlic - minced
lemon juice for rubbing
5 spice powder/montreal steak/whatever rub you prefer
salt and pepper

Method:

Salt and pepper the inside of chicken and sprinkle with spice rub.

Cream together margarine/butter and garlic.

Turn chicken breast side up and work your fingers under the skin at the openings on each side of the breast. Continue into thigh and leg and make the skin as smooth as possible. Using fingers, spread margarine/butter mixture evenly under skin.

Rub the skin with lemon juice and sprinkle with more spice rub.

Place chicken, breast side up on rack and truss the legs.

Put the chicken in the oven for 450 degree for about 20 minutes and turned it down to 400 degree until cooked.

Then I made the Hainanese Rice

HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE

3 tbsp oil/margarine/chicken oil
1 tbsp chopped garlic and shallots
1/2 tbsp chopped ginger
3 cups rice, washed and drained
4 1/2 cups chicken stock(use the stock from the above)
1 tsp salt to taste

METHOD

Heat up oil, saute chopped garlic and shallot and ginger until fragrant. Add rice, salt and mix well. Dish into a rice cooker, add chicken stock and taste(add more salt if required). Leave to cook until dry and fluffy.

I made my Chili using Sinner's recipe because it was so easy

Ingredients for Chilli Sauce
2 tbsp Siracha chilli sauce
1 tsp lime juice
1 tbsp chicken stock
1 tsp ginger juice

Method
1. Combine all the ingredients together
(I skipped the ginger juice because I didn't have any and I used this recipe for the chilli sauce because I didn't have any fresh chilli on hand).

Verdict: Hubby loved the chicken he doesn't really care for the rice as usual (he's not a rice person)
: I'm happy with my chicken rice..is simple and yummy..

I top off with some stir fried vegetables. I used the stock from the chicken to stir fry my vegetables and it was yummy too...We didn't have any cucumber on hand because normally cucumber is served with chicken rice.

p/s: I know I have to really really work on the presentation. My presentation is like F-!Sorry for not decorating my food...no mood to decorate the food just wanna eat it straightaway!LOL

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin