Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Buns!Buns!Buns!

Most week the hubs does not finish his deli meat because I honestly thinks that he's sick and tired of eat sandwich everyday at work hence he doesn't and I always have left over deli meat in my fridge. I normally just toast them in the freezer and use them to make soup but this time I decided to use them to make buns with the left over deli meat.

Sandwich bread or buns adapted from here

Ingredients

(starter dough)湯種:
150g bread flour
12g caster sugar
200ml hot water (I used milk)
60g unsalted butter
(I used oil)

Main Dough:
450g bread flour
100g cake flour
1 whole egg
350ml water (I used 300ml milk)
9g instant active yeast
6g salt
75g caster sugar
25g milk powder

30g unsalted butter

Filling:
200g deli meat
8 to 10 Cheddar Cheese Slices or 1 Cup of Shredded Cheese
Mayo
Shredded Parmesan/Swiss Chesse


Method

  1. In a small pot, cook the starter dough ingredients with low fire till the mixture comes together. Remove from fire and set aside to cool completely before use.
  2. Mix all ingredients in main dough except for butter together in a large mixing bowl to form a soft dough. Place on work area to knead or mixer to do the kneading. Knead the dough till it is not sticky, about 20 minutes.
  3. Add the unsalted butter in and continue to knead till the dough is shiny and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, pull a small piece off and stretching it with your fingers. If dough is very elastic and pulls to almost see through without breaking, then it's done.
  4. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow to proof for at least 90 minutes to 2hrs.
  5. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Half for ham and cheese, the other for other fillings of your desire.
  6. In one half of the dough portion, divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll round and let rest covered before shaping them. The remaining half dough portion, do what ever shape you like, else make more ham and cheese buns.
  7. For the 8 pieces, roll it into a round flat circle. Place a slice of ham and cheese in the center and roll it up like a swiss roll. Seal the edges and cut right in the middle, so you have 2 small logs.
  8. Place the 2 small logs, cut side facing up in your desired greased baking pan. Repeat until all dough pieces, ham and cheese slices are used up.
  9. Let proof covered for 45 mins. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese
  10. Preheat oven to 180°C.
  11. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes till the top is golden brown. Remove from mould after 5 minutes and let cool on rack.
-I made the started dough waited for about 1hr and just dump the rest of the ingredients in my bread maker to make the dough.
-I used half the dough the make ham and cheese. I used a quarter of the dough and made chocolate bun and the other quarter I made pork floss buns.


The buns were super soft and super yummy especially when it just comes out of the oven. I didn't even make dinner that night because I was just thinking of eating the buns since hubby would not take them to work and I gave most of the buns to Uncle Richie because I know that he will eat them every morning.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin