Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hokkaido Bread

Ever since we got our bread machine I vowed to hubby that I would make him homemade bread so he can use it to make sandwiches for work. I've tried many many recipes out there with promises that is a wonder sandwich bread, or it is so soft and yummy and the list goes on but every time when I try a recipe I'm always face with disappointment. The bread normally taste pretty good after it is done cooking but after a day it is rock hard. We always end up throwing the whole loaf away because there is no way we could finish a loaf of bread after it gets out of the oven straightaway. Anyway I've been really caution about making sandwich bread ever since my many fail attempt. It is far cheaper buying a loaf of bread from the store than making your own but I wanted hubby to have homemade bread that I know is healthier for him. I actually stopped trying to make sandwich bread for a long time now until I came across Lily's website about Hokkaido Bread and how popular this bread is. I normally trust all of Lily's cooking/baking because so far everything I try from her website is a success. I decided to give this recipe a try.

Ingredients:
1 cup Whole milk(Ididn't have whole milk so I used 7 fl oz of 2% milk)
5 fl oz Whipping cream (Since I didn't use whole milk I upped this to 6 fl oz)
1 large Egg
1 1/2 tsp Salt
5 tbsp Sugar
3 tbsp Milk powder
4 cups Bread flour
1/2 cup Cake flour
3 tsp Instant yeast

Method:

Put the ingredients in the bread machine according to the order , first the liquids and lastly the instant yeast.

Use the dough function of the bread machine.
When dough is proven , remove from bowl of bread machine and press out the gas produced during the proof.
Divide it into 4 portions.

Round up and let rest for about 20 minutes.
Grease 2 loaf pans.
Roll each dough out and roll up. Place 2 rolls into a loaf pan.
Let the dough rise up to double.

Brush with egg wash or milk.

Bake in a preheated 350f oven for about 35 - 40 minutes.

This bread is awesome. It is really nice and soft especially fresh out of the oven. Hubby said that it was still good the next day because he took some to work. It wasn't as soft as when they first got out of the over but it was still good far better than the once I've tried making and ending up in the trash. I didn't get any pictures because as soon as I took it out of the over I send one home with Uncle Richie so that they can have a nice warm bread because Aunt L loves warm bread and they both loved the bread. I only ate a few bites because I'm not a bread person. I am a bread love to some extent that I love the bread that we can get at the bakeries back home but I cannot eat bread every day. People always ask him since I'm living here is do I eat bread everyday and my answer to them is NO because I rarely eat bread actually. I have craving for bread every once in a while but then that craving will either go away or get satisfied with a slice of bread. I think I might try making buns with filling with this recipe or try finding others I'm not sure yet. I really want to make buns with fillings but am afraid to try and recipe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin