Thursday, April 23, 2009

Stir Fry Homemade Noodles with Homemade ground chillies in oil

I've been itching to make homemade noodles for quite some time now. I told my mom that I was looking to buy the noodle machine and she told me not to because it's much cheaper in Malaysia. So my last trip back in December mom bought me a noodle machine.

The first time I used that machine was when hubs grandma was down here end of March because she was making Chicken Noodle Soup with homemade noodles. After the itch to make noodles came back again. I've been waiting for hubby to have time to make it with me like a couple thing but he hasn't had any time in doing it together with me. When we have time we try and do something that's more important ie cleaning the yard etc.

So I decided to hop over to Lily's website because I knew she had some recipes on making homemade noodles. After my disappointment with the Hokkien Mee here I've been craving for Hokkien mee and I've been wanting to cook my own but I'm not allowed to eat it yet because I had an elbow surgery (will blog about this some other time) so I'm suppose to (according to my mom and dad) refrain from eating seafood etc.



Ingredients:

350g high protein flour, sifted
2 tsp salt
2 tsp potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution(kan sui) {I didn't have this so I substitute it with 2tsp of water with 2tsp of baking soda)
100ml to 150 ml water

Method:

Sift flour into food processor(use the plastic blade) and add potassium carbonate & sodium bi-carbonate solution(kan sui) and salt. Add in 100 ml water and pulse a few times, continue adding the rest of water little by little and pulse, as soon as dough is in pea size crumble, stop adding the water.

Remove from food processor and press crumble into a dough , then leave to rest in a sealed ziploc bag for at least 30 mins.

Knead dough on a lightly floured surface dusted with plain flour.

Roll out and flatten dough into rectangular shape, then cut into four equal pieces. Dust each piece with tapioca flour lightly to prevent sticking. Cover the pieces with a clean dry tea towel.

Prepare your noodle machine by adjusting the knob with the rollers to the widest setting.

Insert dough and turn the rollers slowly. Keep rolling the dough through the noodle machine until you get the required thickness.(stop at 3)

Next, set the machine for shredding then shredd the dough.

Repeat this procedure with the rest of the dough.

Toss the noodles lightly in tapioca flour to prevent them from sticking together.

Heat a big pot of water, when water boils, add 2 tsp of salt then a handful of noodles. Stir gently and when noodles float to the top. Scoop up with a spider strainer into a colander, rub cooking oil into the warm noodles. Place noodle into a baking tray to cool before packing.

Finish cooking the rest of the noodles.

The noodles are now ready for use.

For some reason my dough was not sticking together. I had to use way much more water than specified. After resting my sort of breaking up dough I used more water and tried to knead it together. I am pretty sure my dough is not suppose to feel this way but then after cooking it etc it does look like noodles but not as pretty as the once Lily makes.

Although I wasn't cooking Hokkien mee I still made the lard because I just felt like having some lard from the fats that I cut out from the pork I was using to fry the noodles. I did have tad bit too much cabbage but since I am a vegetable lover I didn't mind having more vegetables in the noodles. All I did was fry the noodles with some dark soy sauce, chicken granules, cooking wine and some fish oil. It was a simple one yet it was pretty good.

Anyway since I knew that I was going to cook hokkien mee alike without the seafood etc. So I thought about it and I came across Little Corner of Mine's website and she had a recipe for homemade ground chilli in oil. It looked good and I decided to try my hands on it too so that I have some chili to go with my noodles in the evening.


Ingredients

3 cups of Dried Chili Peppers (preferably the dried chili padi kind)
2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Belacan Powder
Few dashes of Paprika Powder
Few dashes of Cayenne Pepper Powder
2 cup of cooking oil (canola or vegetable){I used 1cup because two cups looked to much for my chilli I think I didn't have enough chilli maybe?)

Methods

1. Put the dried chili pepper in a saucepan, covered with enough water and boil it. When boiled, turned off the heat, covered and let it sit for 15 mins or until the dried chili peppers have softened, drained.

2. Use a Food Processor to process the chili until fine. Add in the remaining ingredients except oil and pulse again to mix well. Set aside.

3. At the meantime, heat 2 cup of oil in a saucepan in medium heat until hot. Add the blended chili and stir it around until well mixed. Turn off the heat and let it cool completely before storing in a clean glass jar. Keep in the refrigerator.

~Can be used in anything, as condiment to fried rice or mee hoon or use it in stir-frying belacan vegetable or ikan bilis chili for nasi lemak, etc.

Overall I liked the chilli but I think is a little too salty for me. Maybe if I've used two cups or had more chilli maybe it would not be but next time I think I would not use so much salt if I was making the same amount. I like the chilli but this is just not the sambal that you could find in the hawker store in Malaysia although I might never get to make the same kind.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin