Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pai Pau

When I saw the picture of this bun from Florence's site I knew that I had to try making this but she didn't post her recipe on her blog so I was very shy to ask but when 20 other people asked if she could share her recipe I also asked for it. She's posted this recipe for quite some time now and I just found the opportunity to make this yesterday.
Apparently my pan was too small hence my bun is crowded. Next time I'll use a wee bit bigger pan.

Recipe adapted from Florence
Ingredients:
250g bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
5g instant yeast (I used 1.5 tsp)
2 tbsp skim milk powder
45g - 50g sugar
1 egg yolk + milk = 120ml
75ml whipping cream (I used 70ml)
1 tbsp condensed milk
50g pre-fermented dough
40g butter (room temperature)

Method:
1. Mix everything together except butter till you get a smooth dough. Add in the butter and knead till dough is elastic.
2. Prove dough for 1.5 hours or till double in size.
3. Divide into 8 pieces and shape into round balls. Rest dough balls for 15 minutes.
4. Final shaping and then prove for an hour.
5. Apply egg wash and bake at 190C for 15 - 20 minutes.

* I put all the ingredients in the bread machine and use it to knead my dough. As usual my dough was very wet so I had add flour to my dough.
How to make pre-fermented dough:
125g bread flour
80ml water
not more than 2g instant yeast (I used 1/2tsp of yeast)
pinch of salt
Method
Mix all ingredients together and let it prove for at least 2 hours before using.
Left overs can be divided into 50g pieces, wrapped in glad wrap and freeze for use when required.
Frozen pre-fermented dough must return to room temperature before using.
This recipe hit the spot!I am not sure why my lazy bum didn't try this recipe as soon as she gave it to us! I regret not making double recipe because it taste that good even though I don't really care to eat bread so you can imagine how good it was!

Uncle Richie came yesterday when it just got out of the oven and he smelled the buns. He tried it and instantly loved it. He brought some home for aunt L and they finished half of the buns that I gave them. I kept two piece to eat them today and OMGOSH it still taste SO GOOD! I would probably make more soon!

Thanks Florence for sharing this wonderful recipe!It kind off reminds me of the butter bun that I had in Hong Kong before but just not as strong butter taste/flavor.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin