Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mun farn/Stew Rice

I've not had rice for about two weeks now and I was having craving for some rice. Although I don't mind making elaborate meals but most of the time I just love to make fast and simple meal. I don't always plan what I want to cook so most of the time the meat etc is frozen because I didn't defrost them ahead of time and hence difficult for me to cook a meal.

I am not sure what is the real name for this dish. I just remember when I was back home in KL this dish is pretty popular at the tai chow aka coffee shop. I am not sure if I even order this before because when I was living in KL I don't really eat rice.
My rice sprinkled with home grown chili padi

Ingredients
Cooked Rice
8oz Siew yoke (Roast pork)
10oz Vegetables
4 cloves Garlic
10oz Chicken Stock
2 eggs

Seasoning
1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Tapioca Flour *mix with 1/2cup of water
Salt and pepper to taste
oil

Method
1. Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan.
2. Add in garlic and fry till fragrant then add siew yoke and stir fry it for about 5 minutes. Pour Dark Soy sauce over the siew yoke. Mix well and dish the siew yoke out.
3. Pour one tablespoon of oil and stir fry the rest of the garlic. Pour chicken stock in and bring to boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add in vegetable and bring back to a hard boil. Add tapioca flour mixture and bring gravy to a hard boil to cook flour mixture.
5. Add in Siew yoke and season to taste.
6. Turn off heat and crack in the 2 eggs, stir to cook the eggs
7. Pour gravy over rice.

You can add seafood to this dish too but because I didn't defrost them and hubs not a fan of seafood I decided to omit it. I only took my siew yoke out from the freezer because that was all I had left when I make siew yoke last month and decided to use them up. I love this dish and is so simple to make. Since I love Wah tan hor (egg gravy noodle) and it taste similar like that hence I would be making this dish more often. I don't have choy sum at home so I used the little bak choy I had and cabbage to cook this dish.

6 comments:

2crazydogs said...

I make this gravy too at times when I run out of ideas for dinner. Hubs love it, he said it's like "wat tan hor". Sometime I will buy the "loh shue fun" to go with it intead of rice.

I too never eat a lot of rice when I was still in M'sia. It's only till I got here. My hubs loves rice especially white rice. We can have rice everyday and I eat a big plate too! Thank goodness I have the boys to give me motivation to go for walks! Hubs said no one in his mom's home likes authentic Chinese food....the like the chinese food for gwai lohs. Hubs hate that food now.

Sunshine said...

I don't think I've seen Loh Shue Fun here before. Hey have you seen Lai Fun too?

My hubby don't like to eat rice. He said rice is tasteless. He likes to eat flavored rice like fried rice or rice from hamburger helper.

I think my hubs prefers gwai lo chinese food. He's not very good in eating authentic chinese food at least some of the ones I cook anyway. I'm not sure if is because when we are back in Malaysia he has no choice of what but he kwai kwai makan most of them especially the last trip because I just let him sit near my sis or my aunts so they can deal with him not me..LOL..

I love wah tan hor and actually this dish. I try to make my own kway tiew. When I make I try to make a bunch and freeze it so I have some when I want them.

oh I forgot to answer your question in the last post Stanley is fixed. Both my boys is fixed. We had to fix Stanley when we adopted him from the shelter if not we were charged I think $80-$150 more if we didn't fix him. I forgot how much actually.

2crazydogs said...

I am able to get lai fun and loh shue fun at the Asian store by my house. I used the lai fun for the sour laksa I made (from the package la!). Hub don't fancy lai fun much coz he said the texture is too slippery.

You know my hubs too had to eat the nyonya cooking my mom made the last we went back to Ipoh (2 years ago). Like your hubs, he kwai kwai sit there and ate them without saying a word even though the majority of the dishes had belachan, ikan bilis and har mai. He didn't even pick them out from his plate.

I think my hubs was in Ipoh/Penang/Bangkok/Spore for so many months over a span of 4 years he got used to the authentic Chinese food coz most of his coworkers are chinese and Indians. They will take him out or bring him back to their homes for homecook meals.

I have to ask you this, when you fried the kway teow noodles, do they all break up a lot? I made kway teow a few times and each and every time they break apart into pieces. Not enough oil (didn't put extra oil coz I don't like too oily noodles) or no "wok hei"?

Sunshine said...

You are so lucky that your husband love authentic Chinese food. I think him working around them for so many years helps a bundle.

I think is not enough oil. The other day I tried frying char kway teow with the store bought kway teow it broke into pieces. I don't think I used enough oil and I roughly handled it but then I'm also not expert. I don't like oily kway teow too but I find not enough oil not nice too much oil yucky have to have a happy medium.

2crazydogs said...

I but the refrigerated kway teow and nuked it to soften them. It should be easy to fry since I seen the cook at the restaurant I used to work fry it so easily. When I fried it, it went to pieces. Like you said it could be not enough oil. Do you buy the dry rice noodles for frying?

Sunshine said...

I have a bag of the "fresh" ones in the freezer (for the time when I'm lazy to make some) but I made two batches of them two weeks ago so I have a bag of homemade ones in the freezer too. I do have the dry ones for "emergency"..I love kway teow!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin