Monday, October 1, 2007

Chicken Pot Pie & Pie Crust

I made Chicken Pot Pie for dinner tonight. I even cut my nails really short so that when I make the crust it will not stick underneath my nails. It's a little more work, it taste yummy (kind off like the store bought kind with no preservatives) but then I think next time when I'm lazy I'll just use the easier method ie, use frozen veg and can soup..LOL..I even made my own chicken broth. I would still make my crust because I like the taste of it and it's not all that difficult to make..

Delicious Chicken Pot Pie

1 cup potatoes, diced
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup chopped carrots
1/3 cup melted margarine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups chopped cooked chicken
2 pie crusts (either store bought or your own recipe)

Preheat oven to 400°F.


Saute onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.


Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.


Combine broth and half and half


Gradually stir into vegetable mixture


Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.


Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken and stir well.


Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells .


Cut slits to allow steam to escape.


Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.

This is how it looks when it's done cooking

Shake-A-Pie Crust

2 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup Crisco shortening
1/2 cup cold water
1 dash salt


Put flour, sugar, salt and crisco in a plastic bowl with a lid.

Seal and wink (let the air out;-) Shake until it sounds like sand.

Add water.

Seal and wink.

Shake until it sounds like a rock.

Roll out for your favorite pie or pastries.

p/s: I didn't add the sugar in because I was making this dish but if you are using this recipe to make dessert feel free to add the sugar.

The finished product...

2 comments:

Sass O said...

RESPECT!

I must learn how to bake from you. I've always wished I was able to bake and make yummy food such as yours.

But I suck so bad :(

Sunshine said...

Haha..I don't think you suck..I've not even heard you trying it before!Once you try it and enjoy it then it'll make it easier.. I just enjoy doing it once in a while and I have the time to do it. You are so buy with other things you don't even have the time..Hey where are the pictures from bali!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin