Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chocolate Cake

I've been having craving for some chocolate cake for the past couple of days. I've been meaning to try the steamed chocolate cake but then I didn't make that. Oh well I'll try it some other time. Instead I went online and used the recipe that I used to make very first chocolate cake almost 7 years ago. Over the years I've changed it and adapted it to suit my taste and my waist line :)


Chocolate Cake adapted from Hershey

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 apple sauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water + 1/2 cup boiling milk

Method
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water+milk (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

Frosting

Ingredients
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
milk-enough milk needed for the consistency
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Method
1. Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.

This recipe is very easy to put together and I'll have most of the ingredients needed. I've been meaning to try different recipes but I don't have some of the items needed for different recipes that I've been meaning to try plus I'm really lazy to drive out to the grocery store to get the items to try another cake so I just go with this recipe.

Although the cake would be more moist if I used the full amount of sugar but since we don't like our cake so sweet we would deal with it. I knew that the frosting would balanced the sweetness of the cake. Overall everyone loved the cake with no complain :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin