Thursday, March 12, 2009

Coca Cola Chicken, Szechuan Eggplant and Stir fry vegetables

I've not been cooking much ever since PIL came and visit because FIL will do most of the cooking and I just need to clean up. Last week I barely cooked anything because I have not been to the grocery store and didn't bother to go by myself. So last weekend hubby and I went to the grocery store and did our groceries.
I've been wanting to try this coca cola chicken for a long time. One of my BFF that was studying in Australia at that time told me about this dish and said that it taste pretty good so when I found the recipe at Sinner's site and is even approved by her western hubby I was ready to try it too. I am not sure why but the color of my chicken is lighter than hers but hubby said it taste yummy so I guess I just have to play with it a little bit more.

L-R: Eggplant, Chicken and Greens

Coca Cola Chicken

Ingredients
1.5kg chicken pieces
1 can 355ml coke
2 Tbsp lemon juice
5 thin slices of ginger
2 clove garlic, chopped
4 Tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp dark soya sauce
1 red chilli deseeded
1 Tbsp cooking oil
sprinkling of salt to taste

Method
1. Marinate chicken with coke and lemon juice for at least 30 minutes.

2. Heat oil in a wok and sauté garlic and ginger until fragrant.

3. Pour the coke from the chicken into a small pot. Heat to boil and set aside.

4. Add chicken to the wok and stir fry for 5 minutes.

4. Pour the boiled coke and the rest of the ingredients to the chicken.

5. Mix well, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. If there is still a lot of liquid, turn the heat up and boil to reduce and thicken the gravy. Season with salt to taste.

I love to eat eggplant and I love it since I was a little kid however I try not to eat too much because I know it takes a lot of oil to cook them and they absorb almost all of it too however I've not eaten eggplant in a long time and I came across My Kitchen Snippet's site and saw the yummy eggplant recipe and decided to buy one and cook it. I regret not buying more but then sometimes when I'm lazy I end up not cooking them hence wasting it but this time it did not have a chance to go to the garbage. The only thing I did different was omitting the chicken because I already had coca cola chicken.

Szechuan Eggplant
Ingredients
2 Japanese eggplant - cut into 1" length
2 spring onions - cut into 1" length
2 cloves of garlic - chopped
1 " of ginger - finely chopped
1 tablespoon hot bean paste
2 tsp of chili paste

Sauce:
1 cup Chicken Broth
2 tbsp of light soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoons cornstarch

Method
1. In a small bowl combine all the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, add the eggplant. Stir-fry the eggplant until it is softened (about 5 minutes). Remove and drain on paper towels.
3. Add 1 tablespoons oil to the wok. When the oil is hot, add garlic,ginger, chili paste and hot bean sauce.
4. Stir-fry until aromatic.
5. Add in the sauce and bring to a boil, stirring quickly to thicken.
6. Add the eggplant and cook for a few more minutes. Check seasoning and lastly add in spring onions. Serve warm.

Lastly I just chopped some vegetables and fried it with lots of garlic and a pinch of salt. The eggplant and stir fry vegetables only lasted me for two meals whereas I freeze half of the left over chicken too. When I get to the grocery store again I will sure buy more eggplant to cook this again because I love eggplant!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin