Thursday, March 5, 2009

Meatloaf

Uncle Richie and I have been going out almost everyday walking around and the proceed to have a nice and heavy lunch before heading home. I would still be full from lunch every evening and not knowing what to make for dinner. The other night aunt had a company function so I told Uncle Richie that he should come over for dinner since it was just him alone. I was so full I didn't start preparing dinner until 7pm and by the time I finish cooking dinner aunt was already home but hubby hasn't thus we went ahead to eat without waiting for him anymore.
It was a cold night and I had no idea what so ever what to make since I was still full when I was preparing it and came up with an idea of making meatloaf because its fairly simple, I have all the ingredients in the house and it will actually warm the house up on that chilly evening.

Saute the chopped vegetables

Mix all the ingredients together

Ready to go into the oven.

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs ground meat
1/2 cup of bread crumbs or crackers crumbs or oats
1 egg
1 small vidalia onion or type sweet onion, finely chopped
1/2 green or red or orange pepper(some country call it capsicum)(optional)
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped(optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce
1/2-2/3 cup whole milk or half-and-half or evaporated milk

Sauce

4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (reduce if you don't like the tangy taste)
2-4 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed firm (go with 1-2 tablespoons if you don't like your food too sweet)
1/4 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of barbecue sauce

Method
1. Saute finely chopped garlic, pepper and onions
2. Combine meat loaf ingredients and place into a loaf baking dish and smooth out top.
3. Bake the meatloaf at 350°F for about 15-30minutes to make sure that your ground meat does not produce oil if it does take it out and dump the oil out.
4. Mix the sauce ingredients together and pour over meatloaf after dumping the oil out.
5. Bake for 1-1.5 hours or until done depending on the size of baking pan you are using.

This is such a easy to prepare meal and I didn't even have to go out to the store for anything. I try and have some of the basics in the house so that I don't have to constantly go to the store to buy something if I have to make a meal. I so happen had half and half at home because I was initially planning to make Alfredo sauce but have not done it yet so I decided that I could use it to make something else before it goes bad. I love tangy or sour food therefore I love the sauce for the meatloaf too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin